Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Victorian Chocolate Pots

Melt chocolate shavings into piping hot milk with a bit of sugar to create that delectable drink we all love on a cold winter’s day, cocoa. During the Victorian Era, this sweet smoothness was served from a special pot designed specifically for pouring cocoa. The pot, called a chocolate or cocoa pot, was typically made of porcelain and often decorated with roses or other floral arrangements.

The pot stood about ten to twelve inches tall and could be purchased in slender and bulbous shapes. The most defining feature of the chocolate pot would be its short spout, wider where it attaches to the body of the pot and narrower at the pouring lip. This design feature allowed the cocoa to flow more readily from the pot, in the event that the chocolate hadn’t completely melted. Porcelain manufacturers knew their job required the making of a design not only a beautiful in form, but also function.

The short spout design helped to made washing the pot an easier chore too. Imagine congealed cocoa adhering along the sides of a long narrow spout, the type we usually associate with a coffee or tea pot. The short spout of a chocolate pot made cleaning a breeze!

Some of the most beautiful examples of antique chocolate pots include those made in Prussia, Germany and France. I’ve included a few examples for your review.

If you decide to buy an old chocolate pot, be aware that reproductions have flooded the market. Before you buy, be sure to know your merchandise and know your dealer.


























Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Tillie, I have the Chocolate Pot as shown on your web-site, second one down on the right! It was my Grandmothers...it does not have the yellow hue on the bottom, but is in perfect shape! Can you tell me where and when it was made, by whom, and its value? Thank you so much for an answer! I never knew of the "Chocolate Pots" Bette1207@gmail.com from Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom gave me her set before she passed. She said she didn't know anything about it. How can I find out more? It is beautiful, but is designed slightly different from what I've seen here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can you tell me about the final image green and gold trim with flowers? I have on from my grandma's estate.

    ReplyDelete